Monday, April 12, 2010

Such sweet sounds!


* EDIT & UPDATE BELOW *
My little G-Man is talking up a STORM! I think month 13-now (he will be 15 months next week) has been amazing in language and large-motor development. (He started walking at 13 months, 2 days.) Here is a list of words (phonetically) that G-Man uses regularly and appropriately (along with translation):
aanj’ = orange
nana = banana
cree or cree’kur = cracker
up = up
see = see
hot = hot
dada = daddy
mama = mommy
daa or diggy = dog or doggy
keee-keee or caa = kitty or cat
baa = ball
go = go (said with determination usually!) ;-)
hi = hi (the newest word!)
cow = everything that’s an animal right now (except for cat and dog)
a-gool = apple or circle, we’re not certain yet but it’s definitely purposeful!
waar = water (he still signs this one too as he says it)
I forgot to list these words in the original post:
shoe = shoe
ark = ark for his Fisher Price Noah's ark playset

And, about 3 weeks ago he started connecting words! He will regularly say, “See up” if he wants to see something above his level and needs us to lift him. Or, “See hot” if we are cooking. He started out asking to “see” what I was cooking and I would respond with, “No honey, this is hot. Ouchy.” It took 1 night of hearing that and the next night it was,
G - “See up!”
Me- “No sweetie, it’s hot.”
G- “See UP!” (with demand in the tone!)
Me – “Sorry sweetie, it’s hot. Ouchy.”
G- “SEE UP HOT!!!!!” with much demand and a grrr thru clenched teeth and red face afterwards! It was awesome! I scooped him up (away from the stove) and told him how much I love his words! Good job baby!

Many of you will notice one word conspicuously absent from this list.
NO.
That’s right; he’s 15 months old next week and has never once said “no”. I am proud of that! He does hear the word from us, but sparingly. We will say, “No honey, that’s a pretty. Let’s play over here!” (or similar if something is dangerous) and redirect him to something or somewhere appropriate. I was in the parent room at church yesterday and one grandfather said no to his 9 month old grandson more than 50 times in a 10 minute period. Seriously!?!?! Are you kidding me? And then, in a few months when that’s all the boy says the parents and grandparents will be soooo frustrated! Yes, kids do need to hear the word no, but say it once and follow it up with what they CAN do! Set your child up for success rather than a constant verbal beating!

Anyway, my little G has been a sponge and I love sharing words with him! I know that he is soaking up all of these words even though he cannot say them all yet, one day, all too soon, I am sure he will!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, G-Man is, indeed, a HUGE talker!!!

Also, I love how you curb the "no" word, I always try to say what Maddie needs to do rather than just , "no." However, if she's about to pull something on her head, you'll hear a stern "no" from me or daddy. :)

I just cant believe how big your, beautiful man is... :)

Alberta Rose said...

Aww, enjoy it! You are right, if a child hears "no" lots, that will become part of their vocabulary. Yet another reason redirection is a great method of disciplining a child.

Crystal said...

What a cute pic! Sounds like you guys are having fun. Hope to see you soon.