Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In case you didn't know, there's a war going on

And it's the most fierce war ever waged. It's a war for souls. In the last few months two different girlfriends of mine have found out that their husbands were having affairs. Both of these women are strong Christians, believing and raising their children to love the Lord. Both of them had/have husbands who are ambivalent at best, about Christ and his love of us - for all of us. Marriage is sacred to God, it's a covenant we enter into with Him and someone we love and cherish. God wants marriage to last us our lifetime, he directs husbands to love their wife and wives to respect their husband. When someone sins in a marriage it hurts not only the marriage but God. I so clearly heard this today as I was leaving one of these friends' home: "Satan is busy, but God is stronger." Satan is not going to give up on a single soul without a fight. He sees both of my friends as a strong threat to him. These women are strong, loving Christians, they don't preach at or to their hubby's, they don't drag them to church. They simply live as women of God, living by example of His love for us. They are sinners, (we are ALL sinners) and they know it. They don't put on airs about being "perfect Christians". Because of this and their gentle love, slowly, their husbands will see God in their marriages. It may take 15 or 20 or 40 years, but I believe that with time and prayer that their partners will turn their hearts over to God. Satan cannot have that so he attacks their marriage, tempting with alcohol, false promises, adultery and the "rush" of sin. Then he covers it with lies. I found this in my bible today as I was praying for my girlfriends and it really hit home:

Ephesians 6:11-20 (this is only 11-13) Put on all the armor that God gives you, so that you will be able to stand up against the Devil's evil tricks. For we are not fighting against human beings but against the wicked spiritual forces in the heavenly world, the rulers, authorities, and the cosmic powers of this dark age. So put on God's armor now! Then when the evil day comes, you will be able to resist the enemies attacks; and after fighting to the end, you will still hold your ground.

It continues, and I encourage you to look it up in your bible to read. It's a good one! So, if you find yourself under attack, discouraged and fearful, know that Satan is busy, but God is stronger. Surround yourself with prayer warriors and lift up your eyes to the Lord. He is our Salvation, strength and hope.

3 comments:

Alberta Rose said...

I am sorry to hear what both you and your friends are going through. John and Stasi Eldredge (Wild At Heart/Captivating) have written how Satan will attack those with the most potential. I'll pray for strength and wisdom for all of you.

Unknown said...

They are now in my prayers as well. *hug*

Heidi - D said...

I just stumbled across your blog today from Toni's site... I realize this is an older post - but it is so relevant! I have BEEN that wife.

My first husband had a horrible affair. He was not a believer through our marriage, but through my faith he started opening his heart and mind. After his affair (and our divorce) he reached out to God and found his own faith! He is remarried now to another Christian woman and they are strong in their marriage and their faith! While I am sad that his faith didn't come in time to save our marriage - it serves as a reminder to me that God is good! I am proud to have helped open that door and overjoyed at how through tragedy comes good - even when you don't see it at the time!

My heart breaks for your friends! Tell them for me please, that this too shall pass. I have been there, and I survived with lessons learned and stronger faith!