Monday, November 17, 2008

The kitchen project takes a turn for the worse

I hate the countertop refinishing so much that I am not even taking a picture of it at this point. It isn't even worth getting out my camera, taking a pic and downloading it. Ya, it's that bad! Here's the recap: imagine taking a hot, fresh cake out of the oven, now while it's still hot, frost it with super wet, sloppy concrete! Ya, it's that much fun for the first 2 coats! The "primer" is like a mixture of wet concrete and tile mortar. Trying to skim that over the countertop wasn't too bad, but the curved front and backsplash drove me to the edge. Then, between each of those coats you have to sand it smooth. Basically, you are sanding hard, set concrete. Waaay more work than I had anticipated. So, each of those coats took a full day and then some. I just put the first coat of color on and I still don't like it at all. There are 2 coats of color left to apply. I hope to do both tomorrow, but I don't know if that's possible since the Monster dog and I have therapy dog work tomorrow at the VA Hospital. Sigh, this is really the worst home improvement project I have undertaken and it's the only one that I have been unhappy with the looks of at this point in the game. Once I do get all color coats on, I promise to take a pic & post it here. I think tomorrow I'll be measuring the countertops and looking at new laminate tops. We've been without a kitchen sink since Thursday nite, this is getting old and there is no reward for it since it looks so terrible. Sigh...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh no-sounds like quite the headache! With the lack of patience I have, I think I would go straight for the new countertops! Good luck!

Tina Vega said...

How disappointing for you guys, that's a lot of hard work you've invested. Sounds like a take-out night (or perhaps week!); knowing you, it will be beautiful.