Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's nice to be back in the saddle


I have my road bike (bicycle, not Harley - sold that a long time ago!) up on a trainer stand in the family room. I missed doing triathlons the past two years and want to 1) get back in shape and 2) get back to participating in triathlons. Let's get one thing straight, I participate, I do not compete! Very different levels of athletic ability there, very different! So tonite, with the kick in the pants that Toni gave me, I got my shoes on and got pedaling. Then I did 50 crunches. My feet hurt. I have a pretty nice tri bike for a weekend warrior and the shoes are a totally rigid sole that has hardware on the bottom and they clip into receivers instead of having pedals. They allow you to pedal the full circle, pushing down and pulling up so that you have 360 degrees of power at all times going to the bike. It's way more efficient and powerful than the simple piston motion of regular pedaling. Since the soles are completely rigid though it takes about 2 weeks of every day riding to get my feet used to not flexing at all. That and the pelvis bones are a little tender. The racing seat is pretty small and not all that cushioned. I do have aero bars on the front too. I love them!!!! You rest your forearms on the lower cushions and your hands go up in front. It's very relaxing posture and once I hit my rhythm and find my gear that's where I go. So, tonite I did a few miles, tomorrow a few more. I want to work up to 15 miles a day 6 days a week before the new year. Why? Because this is waiting for me!!!!


Below, me (facing shore) getting used to the lake temp pre-race.
Me on the run.

(That's me after the race and our neighbor. I talked him into doing this tri just 6 weeks earlier, yep, he manned up and trained for his first tri for only 6 weeks and did it!)

Of course, I have to add in the dreaded running too. Ugh...So, feel free to send me electronic kicks in the butt, hold me accountable. I want to be a hot momma who models a healthy active lifestyle for her family.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

You go girl!

Anonymous said...

You are my hero! :)

Amy D

Anonymous said...

ah dammit, Mell, just when I had come to some sort of sad peace with the fact that parenthood just does not give me the opportunity to spend the time away from my family training for inline races. Grr.