Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Avocado Part II


I think it went much better the second time around! My little G-Man actually ate at least 6 small spoons of the fresh mashed (and slightly watered down) avocado this morning. He has been coughing a lot more than normal this afternoon, I am wondering if it's a more dramatic cough for fun or if his throat feels funny and there is a food sensitivity there. I had a brief period of my life where eating an avocado would cause my throat to swell and my lips too. It was funny until it got to be hard to breathe. So, we'll be carefully watching for any other food sensitivity signs.
The dear hubby and I were talking about food sensitivities, how the body reacts by engaging your immune system and things like that. Going by the list of physical symptoms of food sensitivities, and looking at childhood pictures of my hubby he had A LOT of food sensitivity issues. He says that looking back, he completely believes it too. Then, when K was 12 or 13 years old he was diagnosed with type I diabetes. Unlike Type II, type I is an autoimmune disorder. Basically, your body's immune system decides to attack the body and for him, the pancreas (which produces insulin) was attacked and killed. We were speculating about the relation to food sensitivities and how his immune system was already freaking out, then he got the flu and right after that, type I diabetes. The docs have thought for years that it was something related to the flu that caused his immune system to flip out and attack the pancreas. Now we are wondering if the food sensitivities contributed to that. For those reasons we are following a naturopathic doctor recommended hypoallergenic food introduction method. We are optimistic that G-Man will have a healthy relationship with food (soooo important!) and that his body will work optimally, providing him with a long, healthy life!

If you are wondering about food sensitivities, check out the Alcat test.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mom was diagnosised with type 1 diabetes at 18 after having a really bad case of strep throat and she always felt it was, indeed, the body accidently turning on the pancreas while trying to fight off the infection.

I understand how important it is to make sure little G-Man's body responds well to his food.

Life just seems so fragle sometimes. :)