Friday, August 28, 2009

Do you text while driving?

This is a PSA, a very well done PSA. Please watch it then continue reading. Thanks...



The whole thing is pretty gripping. I lost it when the little girl was asking Mommy & Daddy to wake up and then again, when there was a shot of a baby (close to G-Man's age) and the voice over was saying that the baby is unresponsive. Please, if you have young drivers (or even 20-something drivers) in your life, watch this video with them. Please implore them not to text and drive, we are all at risk...sigh, I have to go dry my tears now. THIS is why I pray for safety everytime I am in the car with my baby and why I pray fervently when I know someone else is driving with him.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow!

Jen said...

I could not even watch the PSA past the car crash scene. I could see where it was going and just didn't need the rest. I get little enough sleep as it is; I'm not willing to add nightmares to it.

It validates the no-cell-phones-while-operating-motor-vehicle laws in Germany and France (and elsewhere?) completely, however.

Unknown said...

I GUESS IF YOU ARE GOING TO TEXT YOU NEED TO DRIVE A BIG TRUCK
LOVE NICK

Unknown said...

ONE MORE. IF YOU ONLY RELY ON THE GOVT TO PROTECT YOU (LAWS) AND TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR SELF YOU WILL BECOME VICTIMS. JUST SAY-N.

Jen said...

I don't think that supporting a law against something is relying on said law to protect me. There is a law against speeding, and yet people speed all the time. However, many people - myself included - are motivated to keep an eye on the speedometer in order to not get a ticket. A total extrinsic negative motivator, but it works. I think that if there were a law that said "If you're caught doing this, you'll get a $200 fine" and/or "If you're caught texting and you're under the age of 21, we're taking your license away for 6 months / year / whatever", a lot of people would be STRONGLY motivated to not text and drive.

Mellissa said...

Oh Nick, you are too funny. I do think that the way our laws are here that most of them are pretty ridiculious. What power do the cops have to prove you were texting? Can they take our phone and check the time/date stamps in our message in/out box? And how many will know how to do that? I think if there were real ramifications like Jen mentions it may be taken more seriously by the general public. As I said, in the blog, I just pray that we get to our destinations safely and I hound the folks I know who text to not do it while driving. Nick, you know how I feel about leaving it up the gov't to keep me safe! (snort, chuckle, choke, laugh)