Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I have the flu...

...and it hurts bad! I woke up sunday morning feeling like I had been hit by a fully loaded Mac truck ~ everything hurt! My throat is killing me, my ears hurt, and my temp has been consistently over 103. It only makes it worse that this is one of the busiest weeks we've ever seen and I had to work a full day yesterday. By the time I got home from work it was less painful to spit than to swallow and my temp was 103.5. Ya, this stinks! I am asking you to pray with me that my little G-Man and dear hubby K do not get this! I am glad that I am still exclusively nursing, all of the anitbodies that my body makes in response to this ick are passed directly to Little G. Hopefully that helps keep it away from him. I have to work a half day today too...pray for me that this passes quickly.

I do find the humor on how I blogged last about the flu and here I have it! I kinda do hope it's H1N1, then I will be immune to it and so will my little G! And, I'd rather have the flu than an unproved vaccination with possibly long-term effects. (see Guillian-Barre syndrome below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain-Barr%C3%A9_syndrome
"GBS is a rare side-effect of influenza vaccines, with an incidence of about one case per million vaccinations.[9] Other estimates suggest the incidence of GBS among those receiving the vaccine was one case per 105,000 and that the GBS was not directly due to the vaccine but to its being contaminated with a bacterium that triggers GBS.[10]

There were reports of GBS affecting some people who had received swine flu immunizations in the 1976 U.S. outbreak of swine flu. Overall, there were about 500 cases of GBS—25 of which resulted in death from severe pulmonary complications—which, according to Dr. P. Haber, were probably caused by an immunopathological reaction to the 1976 swine flu vaccine. Other influenza vaccines have not been linked to GBS, though caution is advised for certain individuals, particularly those with a history of GBS.[11][12]

Serum sickness can rarely manifest as the Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS), one of its most serious complications. The most serious complications of serum sickness are nerve conditions and peripheral neuritis. Serum sickness is of itself a type of delayed allergic response.
GBS is a form of autoimmune disorder with a delayed hypersensitivity reaction, or a rare manifestation of serum sickness, or transient syndrome resembling serum sickness with loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain accompanied by weakness (tired feeling), chills, low grade fever and possible evidence of brain involvement, indicated by lethargy and migraine headaches, although one theory of the cause of migraine is a central nervous system (CNS) disorder, or Bickerstaff's brain stem encephalitis, a regional variant of GBS. Typical pain is occipital or in the back of the head. Alterations of consciousness go with this headache type affecting the brainstem implicated in the maintenance of arousal, but is a worrisome feature of this type of headache called a Bickerstaff migraine. Other features of Bickerstaff migraine go with involvement primarily of the brainstem including clumsiness and gait unsteadiness, e.g. "pulling to the right"."

2 comments:

Tina Vega said...

Hope you're feeling a little better today!!

Unknown said...

Oh, hun, I'll keep you in my prayers all day, as well as the family.

Please be careful with that fever. Have you been to the dr.? I know there's not much that can be done with the flu, well, I think they've come out with something or another for it, but still, if you're temp gets any higher, you should go in. Your brain is much too precious to liquify. :)

*hug*

I do hope you feel better soon.