Sunday, October 4, 2009

I'm sure we've all been there...


G was really sinking his teeth into the apple! You could hear them scraping. He covered it in drool in short order!




I can't be the only one who has been pretty peeved at the driver behind me who is doing some serious tailgating. I know that I got upset enough on more than one occassion so I "taught" them a lesson...I slowed waaaaay down. There, that'll teach them to drive so close behind me. Of course that only proved to tick them off and make the situation worse.
Today, however, I was the tailgater. It started like this:
I was at the apple orchard with G-Man and my parents, my sister and her hubby and 2 of her kids. We had gone on a hayride, picked some apples, looked at pumpkins, fed some furry animals (llamas and sheep) and we were just making some purchases and winding down our fun little adventure. The Hubby missed our fun because he was at his folks' farm cutting wood for our stove and taking care of some trees that had gotten a little out of control. He was using a chainsaw and he is the most mindful, careful person with power tools. He really respects them and uses them properly down to the ear and eye protection ALL THE TIME!

So, as I said, we were winding down at the orchard when I get a phone call from Hubby. "Where are you?" he asks kinda sounding weird. "Um, at the orchard still, why?" "Oh, (long pause) um, ok" Alright, now I know something is up! It takes 4 or 5 times of me asking why and what's up before I finally say, "Did you get cut by the chainsaw?" long pause, "Yes, but only a little."
Ok folks, a little cut is from paper, is there such a thing as a little chainsaw cut? At this point I start making goodbye motions and tell my mom that K got hurt (she knew he was cutting wood) and I start hightailing for the car, of course remaining calm (really, I was calm). So I ask Hubby, "would a normal person be considering going to the hospital right now for stitches?" He instantly answers in the affirmative. I love him, but he's so not normal when it comes to this kind of thing. So ya, I was tailgating to get home to him. I was trying to go 70 in a 65 and someone took it upon themself to "teach me a lesson". It upset me, I backed off, then when it was safe I passed them on the left and kicked it back up to 70. I won't go faster than that with my little G-Man in the car. Anyway, I got to my inlaws, and played nurse. He should have gotten stitches, the cut is on the outside of his knee. It's about 1.5" long, as deep as a chainsaw chain and ugly! We have it butterflied shut and clean. In a day or 2 we may use the medical super glue to hold it closed, but for now, I'd like to leave it more open to keep an eye on it.

Yes, lumberjack chaps are SOOOOO on his Christmas list, at least they are on the list I am making for him! I am so grateful that he was not hurt worse, thankfully, it was just a chainsaw kiss. This could have been really bad. Oh, and I'll never try to "teach someone a lesson" if they are tailgating me. I'll just move outta their way and pray that their loved ones are ok.

4 comments:

Tina Vega said...

eew

eeew

EEEEEWWWWWWWWW!

I am so glad it wasn't worse for your hubby.

Crystal said...

Glad it was just a 'kiss.' Hope he heals quickly. I'm sure his nurse will take good care of him!

Unknown said...

a kiss...ha, ha...I would have vomited :)

Good deal on taking care of your man.

Kari Fox said...

yeah - with the tailgating thing -- many years ago it dawned on me that they were in some hurry that was more important than mine -- and to help them pass me as soon as I could.. so they could get to their emergency. It is a much nicer way to react. I am happy you are now in that light.... Love You