Friday, April 18, 2008

I saw a funeral procession today...


I was on the road for work today when I saw a funeral procession. There was the hearse, a Cadillac, and only two cars in the procession. I have never seen such a short funeral procession in all my 30-some years. It really gave me pause. If I died today, who would go to my funeral? Have I touched the lives of those around me in a positive way? Have I shared God's love and message of forgiveness in the way I live? Or have I been harsh, witchy, and mean? Have I fought for possessions that I cannot take with me or have I given of my time and sacrificed?

The bible says in Proverbs 22.9 "A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor." Also, we all know this one: Luke 6.20 "Looking at his disciples, he said:"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God." And in Matthew 5.16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

Not that I want to be morbid, but think for a minute...what if you died today? Did you tell the people you love that you love them? Have you shown them that you love them? Have you been light to those in darkness?

3 comments:

Tina Vega said...

You know me... I think we can all benefit from living each day like it's the last.

That's very sad about the funeral procession :-(

Mellissa said...

That really is a great way to live!

Jen said...

http://onlywhoiam.blogspot.com/2008/07/weighing-worse-option.html