Tuesday, April 15, 2008

ˈspȯi(-ə)ld,

"... to impair the disposition or character of by overindulgence or excessive praise b: to pamper excessively : coddleintransitive verb..." definition courtesy Merriam Webster online.


Ya, I am. I forgot the cord for my digital camera so I can't show you the happy, bright yellow daffodils, calla lily-type yellow flowers, yellow mums and yellow snapdragon springy arrangement that my hubby sent to me while I am on a business trip. The flowers that inspired me today...

When I was a kid there was NO way I would have defined me or my siblings as spoiled. We grew up in the 70's, a recession much tougher than this one, and longer too. We were working class poor I think. I don't really remember. Five years ago I would not have described our family as having been spoiled. But now, looking back from this vantage point...ya we were definitely spoiled! I have re-framed the entire definition and image of what spoiled is thanks to my hubby, K. He spoils my every single day. He tells me he loves me countless times each day. He sends me one-liner e-mails that simply say, " love you more". He hides cards in my scrapbooking totes. He leaves post-it notes on the kitchen counter saying he took the dog for a walk in the sleet while I was cozy in bed sleeping in. He heats up water for tea for me. He rubs my shoulders. He holds me extra long when he knows I have had a bad day. He falls asleep wrapped around me every night. He sends me a text message saying "love u." He is K, my love, my hubby of 2 years 8 months. Some people have said that this is just the "honeymoon phase" that he will stop. I really don't believe that. I have known K since 1990...the part of him that is observant, caring, selfless has always been there and is the fiber of his being to the core. Simply put he spoils me in the ways that matter.

It wasn't until I saw this that I realized that my parents did the same thing for us kids. Mom and Dad worked soooo hard! They never missed a parent teacher conference, a concert, a sport event, they were active in Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, they took us camping, took us on LONG family road trips. Dad taught us all how to hunt, Mom taught us all how cook. (some of us never really got that part!) They both taught us how to love unconditionally and how to be partners, fantastic parents and a successful married couple. They taught us about God, about Jesus and heaven. They spoiled us with the stuff that mattered. My brother and sister are amazing parents for their children and I hear both of them echoing lessons learned from our parents.

So my goal in life is simple, spoil those around me and spoil K every day. Even if it's something out of my comfort zone, if it is something that I can do for him that would make him smile, isn't that worth it? I am going to try harder this summer to go mountain biking more with him. It's scary, I might fall, but then he can help me up! (and kiss the owies!) And, we are doing it together...Spoil him by going running in the park early Saturday and Sunday mornings instead of sleeping in...the simple things in life, the things that matter.




It feels good to see the people you love smile, it feels good to take care of them, it feels right to spoil them!


4 comments:

Tina Vega said...

Beautiful post, Mellissa - very touching.

Your photos are gorgeous!!!

Tina Vega said...

Thank you so much for adding my CM site as a link! I can't do that on my own blog because of my contract with them. I SOOOOO appreciate the plug!!!

Mellissa said...

Thank you Tina for all your support and help! (don't worry, I'll be asking for some later with this whole new bloggy world!)

And the referral, that was a no-brainer! Happy cropping! That's cropping, not CRAPPING!
;-)

Anonymous said...

what a warm, wonderful post. heard about you and checking in from tina's blog.