Thursday, July 17, 2008

a little of the baby back story & updates

I knew the instant that we conceived that I was pregnant. I just knew it. I could tell. I felt this all-consuming peacefulness just envelop me. It was a place of calm, peace, safety and I *know* I heard the Holy Spirit convey to me that it was alright. It is that calm and peace and just 'knowing' that sustains me.

Near the beginning of the pregnancy K and I were going to be apart for 10 days! He was leaving to head to South Dakota to help out some friends and I was going to D.C. for that restoration class. Since we were going to be apart I wanted to take the pregnancy test while we together. I took 2 of them and both of them were negative. But I still smiled and hugged K and told him, "It's ok honey, we're still pregnant. I just know it." It was that faith in myself (and knowing my body) and that sense of calm that gave me that conviction. Finally, after I got back home 10 days later, two pregnancy tests finally read POSITIVE. I think my poor hubby was a little shocked. We had only been trying to get pregnant for one month and -BOOM- right outta the gate, we were!
We've been having fun talking about names, reading name books, reading nursing books and natural birth books. Kyle would like to find out if it's a boy or girl, but I gently vetoed him. I *love* surprises! I figure I am going to be working pretty darn hard and at the end of all that work, I'd love the surprise of finding out if it's a boy or girl after all that hard work! So, a surprise it will be! We are discussing baby room decor too. Let's face it, baby room decor is for mom and dad, not the baby! We are thinking something generic like bugs or safari or jungle animals.

I still have that sense of calm, despite some of the things that I am finding in my early research. (see yesterday's post here for details) I am grateful for all of the prayers that are being said for us right now. K and I are both admittedly scared, but we are staying calm and gentle. I am tweaking my eating habits a little bit, no more processed foods, white flour or sugars. Whole grains, preferably gluten free. I will still stay with the loads of organic veggies, fruits and meats as I have been. I was eating somewhat "clean" before, but I think bringing it up a notch is only going to benefit Baby and me. Let's face it, DQ tastes great, but it's the worst crap you can give your baby or your body. ;-) I am grateful that I have only been drinking tea and water. No bad caffeine habit to kick! I guess I wanted to just say thank you all for your prayers and well wishes and referrals for doctors with whom you have had great experiences. I did get a copy of the radiology report and talked to our midwife. It is a "large exophytic uterine fibroid." She told me that this is likely not going to affect much, we just have to keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't affect the placenta or the baby position. She referred us to an OB who is pretty remarkable and with whom she has worked before. Our midwife will continue to be the caregiver for our pregnancy and this other doctor will be the one who we consult with for the fibroid. Once we find out more about what kind of fibroid and related issues, we'll share it here.

Wait, I just had a super funny thought pop into my head...what if I am growing a little teddy bear-like thing for the baby? Just a little toy to keep it company? Ok, ya, you can tell that I didn't sleep much last night...
Today my dear friend Tina had a great faith filled blog that you can read here. This scripture verse from her blog today is really speaking to me:
You are my hiding place, Lord; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32:7
Pretty much sums it up.

2 comments:

Tina Vega said...

We did the jungle theme for baby #1 - if you're interested in a tiger-stuffed-animal-skin rug, I have one that is ADORABLE. (We used to have a zebra-stuffed-animal-trophy-like-head-mount for the wall as well; I'll see if we still do and you can have both if you'd like.)

Mellissa said...

Oh Tina, that would be so cool! Do you have any pics of the room you decorated? I would love to see how you did it! Thank you!!!!!