Tuesday, May 19, 2009

pesky sunshine!

I am trying to figure out ways to protect my sweet little red-headed new baby from the damaging rays of the sun. It's not easy! He cannot have sunscreen on his little new skin until he is at least 6 months old. I got really excited about a product here by Rit dye company that allows you to wash in UPF 25(Ulltraviolet Protection Factor) into your laundry. Then I kept reading and it cannot be used on clothing for kiddos under 6 months of age. However, this is still my fav new summer product! This product increases the UPF of your clothes by 20 and it lasts 20 washes. It's like applying sunscreen to your clothing while you wash. I have heard great things about it from folks at REI; and we all know *they* live outside!!! I think I will still get some and wash the hubby's and my clothes in it. I guess for the next few months my little boy will be relegated to early morning walks in a stroller with a BIG sun canopy. Our pediatrician, Dr. S, did tell us that one layer of sun protection is not enough, that we need to keep him outta the sun...I certainly don't want a crispy boy so that is what we'll do!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

red hair, fair skin...they just go together. I feel for you! My brother and I would burn with 50 SPF when we were kids. And I currently have blisters on my lip from the sun!