Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I have a confession to make...


I am not the best at labeling things. I had some spray bottles of vinegar that weren't labeled, and my homemade laundry soap (here) was in recycled containers that I had not labeled. Not a great practice ever, but really bad when we have a baby in the house.

Anyway, a few weeks ago when we were still struggling with G's rash one of the home remedies was to use a vinegar dilution in water. 1T vinegar to 1C water and then use a cotton ball to dab it on his skin 1-2x a day. Well, K mixed up some...except that what he thought was vinegar was my new laundry soap in an unlabeled container. Fast forward three days, the rash was GONE! Nothing else had worked, this did! We were taking about it and I told K that I need to pick up more vinegar since we are out. He said, no there are 2 or 3 gallons on the counter in the laundry room. I looked at him, "No, those are all the new home made laundry soap...." long pause as we looked at each other..."Is that what you used on his skin?" "Yes. You didn't label the bottles?" I felt terrible! but then we realized that nothing toxic was in the home made soap and most of the ingredients settle out to the bottom, so it was really, really dilute. Then when K mixed just 1T of it with a cup of water it was even more diluted. In the end it was a wonderful discovery. The homemade laundry soap is the cure for his rash. And I have learned my label lesson!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

lol...I'm so glad little G man's rash went away and now you have labled bottles. :)

So what ingrediant do you think did the trick??

Mellissa said...

I am guessing it was the Borax..it's a mineral, but is pretty hardcore. I certainly wouldn't use it any more concentrated on baby skin.