Tuesday, January 19, 2010

an unexpected rite of passage & roots



I was kinda giggly (well, almost) tonite. See, I was making the first birthday treat for G-Man to take to daycare! I WAS MAKING A BIRTHDAY TREAT FOR MY SON! Ya, it totally took me by surprise how big of a deal this was to me. Naturally, they are gluten free cupcakes too. Unfortunately, they are not dairy or egg free (or sugar free) so poor boy gets to bring them to daycare, share them with his friends and he doesn't get any. I don't even want him playing with one. He will have a truly gluten free, dairy free, egg free one to demolish at his party this weekend though...

I was such a "mom" tonite too. I made more baby food and prepped what looks to be a great soup for dinner tomorrow. I have really been into root veggies lately and they are just so delish! Next time you are at the grocery store, treat yourself to the carrots that are not peeled and cut up. Get a bag of carrots, they way they look when they come outta the ground. Then take them home, cut off the tops and scrub them with a kitchen scrubbie. Don't peel them, just eat them! You will be amazed at how good they taste! The baby carrots that are already peeled and everything taste almost sterile in comparison. And it really is no time at all to lop off the tops and wash them. Then, pick up a bunch of beets. Ya, that's one of the foods I made for G-Man tonite too. He loves 'em! Be sure to pick up the smaller beets, they are yummier. Peel them, cut into smaller pieces, and boil until they are soft. Then enjoy! Yum!!! So, back to my root veggie thing...when I saw this in the grocery store I didn't think twice! I washed and chopped everything up tonite so it's a matter of sauteeing with some onion, oil and garlic then adding some veggie broth and simmering. Yum! Talk about an easy, wayyy healthy dinner!

No comments: