Sunday, June 8, 2008

another **HOT** day!

Arlington National Cemetary with Washington Monument in Background

I arrived at Arlington National Cemetery around 8:30 this morning, by 9am the heat index was over 100! The images in that place and getting to stand amid that history made the 3-4 miles of walking around worth every drop of icky, sticky sweat!! In fact, just standing watching the guard and taking pics I had sweat running down my legs and down my arms - GROSS. I cannot imagine how hot it was in the full-dress uniforms that the Guard wear. It was a bit of a hike to the Tomb of the Unknowns, but I cannot imagine being here and NOT going. I watched 2 changings of the guard and took about 100 pics of that event. Very somber, very moving. I was really impressed too; there were several tour groups of teenagers that were pretty noisy as they were walking around the cemetery, but once they approached the tomb of the unknown they all silenced, without anyone asking them to. It was nice to see that kind of respect and reverence from so many young people.

Changing of the Guard, yes they click their heels for *every single turn* they make. Read up on the facts of these soldiers here.

Also, yesterday at The Wall (Viet Nam War Veterans Memorial) there was a group of young teens that asked me a question about the wall. Fortunately, I knew the answer and then I proceeded to tell them everything I knew about The Wall. Including this: Did you know that every night the National Park Service picks up everything that was left at the wall? It is cataloged by date and which panel it was left by. Then it is all inventoried and kept in a museum warehouse. There are traveling exhibits of the items left at the wall. (Thank goodness for Discovery channel!) Anyway, please keep my in your prayers this week. The class I am out here to take for work is the toughest in the industry. I have class Monday - Friday and a 6 hour exam on Saturday. I am nervous and I *really* want this certification!! It's the highest certification in disaster restoration. Thanks all!

2 comments:

Tina Vega said...

I'll be praying for you this week...

Your photos are beautiful!

Mellissa said...

Thank you! I am going to be needing it!