Friday, June 13, 2008

one more nite of studying in D.C.

From the Korean War Veterans Memorial


So, the big disaster restoration exam is tomorrow. Am I ready? I don't honestly know. I do know that I am nervous, apprehensive but that I want it to be done. I think my brains are just gonna leak out when I finish the test. The test starts at 7am ET Saturday and we have a limit of 6 hours in which to finish. I will be staying to the end, I just want to be sure I get everything right that I can, there are 436 fill-in-the-blank questions. Things like:


  • Define the Heppelwhite, Louis XV, Queen Anne, Chippendale, Phyfe styles of furniture and when they were originally produced?
  • List the 4 cleaning methods and give examples of each.
  • Define thermoplastic material.
  • What is a collar tie?
  • What is an electrical canopy?
  • Distinguish between a mullion and a muntin.
  • What is the function of purlins?
  • List 6 ways to tell of a drapery is custom made.
  • Describe the behavior of the following fibers in a burn test: wool, nylon, olefin, cotton.
  • What pH solution would you use to clean white, wool carpet post-fire?
  • What are the 3 general categories of Oriental rugs?

This test is *everything* restoration from framing of a house, to finishes to all the personal property inside, to insurance laws, art restoration, electronics, mold, OSHA standards, National Fire Protection Act, Toxins, Lead, Fuel Oil Spills, Tear gas, antique furniture. Like I said before, pray that I pass! In the meanwhile, enjoy the pics from what may be my last post from the East Coast!

Below: Korean War Veterans Memorial. You can learn more about it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK....One more day of studying, pass your test and GET HOME!!! You are going to do awesome. It sounds so complicated, I am praying that you pass. You are a smart girl, just think of it as a hurdle that you are almost over.

Gina =)

Crystal said...

Good luck on your test Mellissa! I'm sure you will do great. Even though you only have one more night of studying, don't forget to get a good night of rest! I'm sure you will, but eat a good breakfast too. Go get em!