Monday, December 29, 2008

Midwife Appointment!

We had our 34 week midwife appointment today. As usual, it was a fabulous hour! We only had a few questions and we had all of them answered. Our midwife asked us some questions and we talked about breastfeeding a little more. At the end of our appointment we got to hear Baby's heartbeat; which is our favorite part! Baby was quite busy and the heart rate was bouncing between the 130s and low 150s. It was so nice and strong! Our midwife and her assistant were pleased with it. Baby is also in a great position too, already head down. Then it was time to take my blood pressure. 138/83....ya, it wasn't so great. It was just one reading, but it was enough to concern our midwife and so I am going to be monitoring it and e-mailing her every few days with my blood pressure readings. Fortunately, our friends C & M have an at home bp monitor so I will be borrowing that. I talked to my chiropractor and our dear friend Val who is also a chiropractor and will be increasing my fish oil supplements, magnesium, folic acid and vitamin C in order to be sure that my body has all the nutrients it needs so we can try to prevent this one reading from being a trend and moving towards preeclampsia. One of the pregnancy books that we have, The Whole Pregnancy Handbook by Joel Evans, MD, has a section on preeclampsia and he also lists these supplements as helpful in preventing preeclampsia. I am also sitting with my feet up and am drinking MORE water. Apparently, too little water can also cause high blood pressure readings. So, if you have a moment and can say a little prayer that my blood pressure returns to healthy readings I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks, and in case I don't have time to post again, have a wonderful, SAFE, healthy New Year's Eve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I realize that this may be a little late, but did your midwife take your bp manually or with an automatic reader? The auto ones have a tendency to read high. Just wanted to let you know.