Friday, December 12, 2008

The Kitchen is DONE!




The incredible Hubby put up the last piece of trim on Wednesday nite! I finished up cleaning tonite. It is gorgeous! We spent less than $1100 on the whole remodel too, I am proud of that considering the size of the room and that we replaced all the flooring. Here is a quick recap of what we did:
  • prime and paint the walls (originally dark purple now antique white)
  • sand all the cabinets, stain and varnish (3 coats)
  • make new doors and drawer fronts for all
  • make a new, larger pantry cabinet
  • resurface the laminate countertops and island
  • install new laminate flooring, which goes into entryway too
  • remove and re-install all new railing systems - 4 total, remove carpet on stairs, install oak on treads, re-carpet with cut back old carpet
  • stain and varnish all new trim, baseboard, railings, crown moulding, shoe
  • install all new trim
  • install new light fixtures
  • polish old sink & reinstall, install new faucet
  • paint upstairs hallway and living room

Yep, that's all we did. And we did all of it ourselves! I am sure I am forgetting something, but that's ok. I hit the high points. The kitchen was original to the house and was just over 20 years old and it looked like it. Now, we have a modern looking Asian/contemporary kitchen that I LOVE! To see the before pics go here. Or to see the steps as we went, go to the column on the right side of my page and click on Projects...you'll see it all!

3 comments:

Amy said...

WOW! I am soooo impressed! That was a ton of work but it paid off! Have fun cooking in there!

Mellissa said...

Thanks and you are too funny! I am not much for cooking, baking or anything like that. I am great at grilling and some slow cooker things though. And, I make a mean fried egg sandwich!

Tina Vega said...

"Wow!" almost seems like an understatement. Great job!

BTW, do you have any good slow cooker recipes?