Sunday, December 21, 2008

Time for an edgy post!

It's been a while since I've had a meaty. slightly controversial post. It's time, don't you think?

I read an article on cnn.com on Friday about a woman who was selling "gothic kittens" on eBay. Ya, she pierced the kittens ears and according to the article, other body parts. The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals raided the home on Wednesday after getting a tip that the woman was selling the pierced kittens on eBay. "It's unbelievable anybody would do this to kittens," said one of the officers. She will likely be charged with animal cruelty.

I wasn't too disturbed by this, are you? And no, it has nothing to do with the fact that I am not a big fan of cats (even though we have one). How many times have you been to the mall or the store and seen a human infant or toddler with pierced ears? I have, lots. None of those parents are charged with child abuse. Why is it worse and criminal to pierce an animal? It's not like the infant or toddler chose to get pierced. Don't get me wrong I am not against piercings, but I think it should be up to the person getting their body pierced, not mom or dad who thinks it's cute. How many parents out there impact their children's bodies because it's cute or because that's just what we do? Pierced ears, they are just the tip of the ice berg. (here's where it gets edgy)

What about parent's choosing circumcision for their sons. Why? Because that's what we've done, because Dad was? Did you know that in the US (as of 2007) only 55-65% of all newborn males were circumcised? (see, not all boys are) We're outraged at hearing about female circumcision in other countries and decry it as barbarian and inhumane, but we see no problem with cutting off a part of our newborn sons.

That disturbs me...pierced cats, not so much.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I have to agree with you.

Anonymous said...

Well, the circumcision deal is different for males than for females, of course. For females it takes away their sexual stimulus, not for boys. Circumcision is also more sanitary and men who are circumsized also have less risk of passing the cervical cancer spiel over to a sexual partner. From working in the medical field for so many years, I have seen my share of uncircumsized men and many of them are not cleaned properly. So there are obviously differing opinions on things like that. I also think that piercing an animal is cruel since they have to clean themselves with paws. They run the chance of ripping earrings out of very thin ears. I agree that parents should wait for children to make that decision.
-Gina