Monday, May 26, 2008

Busy work weeks


I had some great plans for Memorial day posts, but I am not sure if I will have time to get them together the way I had planned. I hope that tomorrow I can do it.

For those of you who don't know, I work in the disaster restoration industry. The major storms and tornadoes mean that we will be super busy at work for the coming weeks. The part of my job that touches me the most is that most of the time I can tell people after they have a house fire or storm damage, that the most important thing is that everyone is ok and we can fix this...sadly, there is one family that has lost their 2 year old. The whole family was pulled from their house by the wind of the tornado...in this neighborhood, the work will be different. Anytime there is a loss of life it's like there is a pall over the neighborhood, the only noises you will hear will be the big equipment and saws. When the tornado killed a child in Rogers, MN last year, it was the same. No voices, no laughter, no birds, just heavy equipment and saws and hammering...It's going to be a tough few months.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Mellissa,

My aunt lives in the area hit by the storms in Hugo. They live in 159th court and are right next door to the houses that are completely gone. Their home was severely damaged, but most of their belongings stayed in the house. I saw them yesterday and can say that you are completely right about how everyone is feeling. Their house was directly in the path of where the tornado was headed, but for some reason it jumped across the street. They are filled with mixed emotions, feeling grateful for what they have, but also sad for their neighbors. They were lucky to be up at their cabin when the storm hit. Although it was hard for them not knowing what was left of their house, including her scrapbooks, it is nothing compared to the loss of a child. Our hearts go out for the families with killed or injured and for those who have lost everything. Good luck over the next few months as you work with them. I'm sure it is hard, but you are making a difference in many peoples lives when they need it most. I live just north of Hugo and am volunteering to help with clean up. I hope we run into each other at some point. Thanks for your blog, I check it often.

Crystal
(scrapper from Memory Lane)

Mellissa said...

Oh Crystal! I am relieved that your aunt is ok! I cannot imagine the mixed emotions they have right now. I am sure that so many people were saved by being gone when the tornado hit. If your aunt wants me to help her out with the restoration have her call me, 651-748-FIRE. Thank God she is ok!

Tina Vega said...

My friend is on 157th Street and very grateful to have been spared.

I am so glad Crystal to hear that your aunt is okay!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mellissa...
The loss of that two year old makes me sick to my stomach. I look at my little Jimmy at 2 1/2 and can't even imagine losing him in such a terrifying manner...or, well, period. I feel so sorry for that family.

Gina