Friday, May 30, 2008

"The Business of Being Born"




I have to tell you, this is a great documentary! We saw a showing at my chiropractors office, you can rent it from Netflix.

We are not pregnant, don't have kids, but hope to someday. Personally, what ever decision you make about your birth and your priorities is ok with me. But please, do it armed with information, research things! And don't get all of your information from one source, you'd fail 4th grade if you tried that on your papers! The point of informed consent is *INFORMED*.


Personally, I love the idea of a home birth with a midwife. I hope that we are able to make that a part of our reality someday. Do a little research and the infant and mom mortality rates in the US hospitals vs. at home might surprise you. Then compare the US rates with the rest of the industrial world. Ya, we stink...but find out for yourself! ;-)

2 comments:

Amy said...

OOOOOO I need to see this movie-its the one with Ricki Lake, isn't it? Mellissa, you are ahead of the game, imo, if you are thinking a home/water birth is the way to go. I didn't realize that til my first child's birth went awry (imo), and ended up haing an emergency c/s. It is such a good idea to be educated all around, on side effects from epidurals (which so many moms don't know about), and other medical interventions. They certainly have their place, but should not be as routine as they are, imo. Happy trying-for-baby-vibes to you and your hubby, LOL! (Excuse me if I sound a little loopy-I've had a crazy day!)

Oh, I have a feeling you would gain a lot from the Childbirth Collective http://www.childbirthcollective.org/ That's how I found my doula for my 2nd child's birth!

Mellissa said...

Thanks Amy for the site recommendation! I love it and have it bookmarked. Thanks for the baby-making vibes too! ;-) Ya, that is the documentary with Ricki Lake. It was good! Let me know what you think when you watch it. Be be careful, I've heard from the already-mom's who have watched it, you will end up wanting another!!!!! :-)