Tuesday, August 19, 2008

enough food already!

I’ve never been one to complain about eating! I love eating! I have battled with being overweight, chubby, “big boned” pretty much my whole life. I always told myself it was because I was too weak to make the right kinds of food choices or that I was just doomed to be a big girl.
The last 12 weeks have taught me a lot! I am strong enough to make superbly healthy choices! I have been eating super clean, whole, organic, unprocessed foods for the past 3 months and it’s not been too hard. Sure, there was the one time I *really* craved a DQ Girl Scout, Thin Mint Blizzard. I looked up the nutritional information online and the ingredients. That stopped me in my tracks! There is no way I would feed that to my baby! Suddenly, that “treat” looked like a poison to me and the craving was gone! In fact, just eating like this I have lost 11 pounds in my first trimester, I am 15 weeks pregnant now and have not gained any weight, I am still holding steady with the weight loss.

I have learned too that morning sickness or the queasies are easily cured by eating every 2-3 waking hours and being sure to get some quality protein in every time I eat. (That, and my midwife told me that I have to eat that often!) Last night I was tired, had a sinus headache, and I knew without looking at the clock that it had been just over 3 hours since I had eaten. I was starting to feel less than great (kinda’ crappy, in fact). I was in the kitchen staring in the fridge and I wanted to cry. I just growled and yelled to K that I was sick of eating! “I am sick of my entire day being about eating!” Then I felt like I had to explain myself…I am happy to be making healthy lifestyle changes for baby’s health and mine. I am happy to plan out everything I eat for the next 24 hours to be sure I get 70-100 grams of protein everyday and all the other pregnancy and fibroid dietary recommendations. I am happy to take the supplements. But I was just tired. I wanted it to be easy. It’s not. It’s not going to be. Motherhood is going to be hard. It’s going to throw me even more curve balls, it’s not going to be a perfect schedule and there are going to be times when I want to sit on the floor and cry and scream.

Don’t get me wrong, I am excited and happy to be pregnant and to be getting ready for the next stage in my life and in our marriage, but last night and today I am just tired of eating. Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s been 2 hours since I’ve eaten and I need to munch on a peach and some almonds…(the almonds have 12 grams of protein in ¼ cup by the way!)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Another benefit of the way you're eating is that you're going to be a pro at getting protein for all of the lovely feeding of baby that's going to happen come February. Bring on the almond butter. : )