Thursday, August 7, 2008

Food stuff part 2

Another night was spent trying to figure out the menu... It only took about 25 minutes this time! And this morning it only took me about 10 minutes to already wreck it! I *have* to figure out some way to make this oatmeal palatable. It’s pretty gross, so I ate 3 spoons and dumped it out. I did eat my hard boiled egg though. By 9 am I was feeling just icky though so I knew I didn’t have enough to eat and it was SO time for a snack.

My scrapper friend, Crystal asked me a question on my blog yesterday about groceries and cost and such. For a long time I have split my grocery shopping between Rainbow or Byerlys and my co-op, Valley Natural Foods. I am spending more of my grocery time at Valley Natural now, but still find myself running to the other two in a pinch or for things that K likes, (lunchmeats, Mt. Dew).

There are times that I am surprised at the stores. This week organic raspberries were 50 cents cheaper than non-organic at Byerlys. And cereals are so flippin expensive that the organic cereal is pretty much the same price as non-organic. Even if you don’t go organic, just buying fresh food and whole grain products are so great for your body! Yes, the “crap” food is cheaper, but that’s because it’s more chemical than real food. If you do want to get cheaper organic prices I recommend checking out a co-op. Since their whole store is dedicated to providing foods with out added chemicals, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, colorings you get a more wholesome food, which is better for your body. And since all they purchase for the store is organic stuff, their prices tend to be a little less expensive and the selection can’t be beat! You don't have to be a co-op member to shop there! Definately go, just to check it out!

Another great place for inexpensive, local, fresh produce is your farmers market! I love going to the FM on the weekends! They are all over the metro area so check one out! Some things are organic, some are not, but they are all locally grown and fresh. I do recommend the eggs! Free-range chickens on organic feed make the yummiest eggs! You really can taste the difference. I have been buying 2 dozen almost every week this summer.

No comments: