Friday, September 26, 2008

Magnetic attraction?

It's strange, I have never really understood the whole touching a pregnant belly thing. Then a few years ago I realized that I felt "drawn" to reach out and touch the large preggo bellies. I didn't know why! Before I got pregnant I thought I would be outraged if someone tried to touch my belly. I mean really, where does someone get off just touching my stomach uninvited? (insert indignant foot stomp here)

Fast-forward to now...I can't keep my hand off my swelling belly. I fall asleep with one hand on my lower belly, the other above it as if I am cradling the baby already. I touch my stomach more than a few times a day. My niece, sister, mom and a co-worker are touching my belly whenever they see me. (Naturally, K is touching the belly lots and saying Hi to baby so he is the understood exception to this whole discussion.) And ya know what, I am surprised that I actually like it. I feel that excitement, the shared wonder and love coming thru these gentle hands, curious hands. It's like a magnet inside me that just draws out the loving touch of so many people. When someone touches the belly I just smile and realize how loved this child is already. We are blessed!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh good-I'm glad you're open to it because I will be wanting to touch your baby belly if I see you before he/she's born...but I DO ASK first! (I wonder if someone would actually say "no"!) You are right about the magnetic attraction of it-it really is something special to feel a part of such a miracle. :)

Mellissa said...

I plan on being at the November Faithbooking crop... will you be there? By then you should be able to feel the lil peanut kicking! And yes, belly is open for lovin'!