Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Book List

As I have mentioned before, I love to read, question, formulate opinions and read some more. The idea of truly "informed consent" appeals to me on a lot of levels. So, this pregnancy has been full of learning, questioning, learning some more and lots of dialogue. Some of you have asked what I've been reading so here is a little introduction:

Birthing From Within by Pam England. It is a very in depth book about the emotional part of labor and delivery. There is an accompanying work book for mom and dad as well as reinforcement that whatever you choose, as long as you choose mindfully is ok.

25 Things Every Mother Should Know by Martha Sears R.N. A little gem of a book with wonderful trust-your-instincts, love your baby, get close to your baby advise. One of my favorites because it's a short book, with each of the 25 chapters only being 2-4 pages long and each page is packed with great information.

Father's First Steps - 25 Things Every New Dad Should Know by Dr. William Sears. Ok, ok, that was on K's list to read, but I got to it first! It really is a remarkable book and it's one I am going to tell K is a must-read from cover to cover. Beautifully written to appeal to guys!

Spilled Milk - Breastfeeding Adventures and Advise from Less than Perfect Moms by Andy Steiner. A real-life compilation of nursing stories from moms who nursed for years, months or weeks. What did work, what didn't work and the feelings about it. I enjoyed the un-glamorized look at breastfeeding, truly a reality check with encouragement!

The Attachment Parenting Book - A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby by Dr. William Sears and Martha Sears, R.N. I just started this book a couple of nights ago. It's a loaner from our midwife and already it just "clicks" with me. Being close to baby, knowing your baby, loving and bonding with your baby. knowing what I know about brain function, it's obvious that infants are incapable of "manipulating" us, holding and comforting them and loving them is what we're supposed to do and this book goes down that road. I love it!

Our dear friend and chiropractor Val, also gave us a subscription to a FABULOUS parenting magazine called Mothering Magazine - The magazine of natural family living. It's earthy, clean, wholesome and full of information that appeals to us. Whole foods, organic products, cotton diapers, chemical free crib mattresses, homebirthing, drug-free birthing, vaccinations, and TONS more! I have read our first one from cover to cover twice already! I recommend this to anyone over any other parenting magazine.

On my "need to find" list at the recommendation of our midwife is a Bradley method birthing book. It's a birthing method/ideology model. So, off to the Dakota County library system to see what they have for me to check out! If any of you have recommendations, please, let me know!

No comments: