Monday, September 1, 2008

Is the stuff you put on your body toxic?

The $50 billion a year beauty industry is unregulated. That means that in the United States it's legal for beauty products to contain chemicals known to be linked to cancer, learning disabilities, infertility and other chronic diseases, all of which are on the rise in the US.

In my search for safe beauty products for me, Hubby and our Baby I found a great web site called the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics. From there I found a link with disturbing information about the toxins in baby products. Some of the products you trust the most are the most dangerous to put on your baby. Your skin is the largest organ in your body, what you put on it, gets absorbed and goes into your blood stream and other vital organs. To check out the safety of baby products you can go here. Be aware of what you put on or in your body, whatever you choose, be an informed consumer. Now, I need to filter thru all those baby product lists and make a list of the products that we will be using with our child...

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Mellissa,

I have been to a couple home-based parties for natural skin care products. Arbonne and Daisy Blue Naturals sell all natural products for babies. You may want to check them out as you do more research. Good luck. Have I mentioned that you are going to make a wonderful mother...so committed to making sure you do what is best for the little one. I recently saw this new appliance in a William Sonoma catalog that you might be interested in looking at called the Beaba Babycook. It's a steamer-blender for making your own baby food from fresh veggies, fruit, etc.

Crystal

Mellissa said...

Oh Crystal! Thank you! I will check out all of those products! The baby care stuff is good to know and I love the idea of baby eating what we're eating (once it's old enough) so being able to steam and puree is so great! Thanks!