Friday, September 5, 2008

Um, there's another project underway.

Above, getting ready to prime the walls tomorrow...

Ya, you really can't expect me to leave well enough alone, can you? Hubby and I have decided to give the kitchen a face lift. It's the last room in the house to get a makeover and it's one of the rooms I have hated the most since we bought the house 4 years ago. We're patching the walls, painting the walls, making new doors and drawer fronts for all the cabinets, sanding the cabinet boxes, re-staining the cabinets (with wood dye, not stain) a chocolaty-deep brown color, installing new countertops and sink, installing a new maple laminate floor, removing the old wood spindle railing systems leading to the family room and upstairs and replacing them with more modern wood and metal railings. Sounds pretty easy, huh? The hard part is that our September calendar is filling up FAST! We committed to helping a friend and my parents both put on new roofs this month. And, I asked our midwife if it was ok to do roofing since I have done it lots before. She nixed that idea. I am almost mad at myself for asking...

Since the newly refinished cabinets will be dark, we have decided to paint the walls a very neutral antiquey-white color. That will be a HUGE change from the dark eggplant color we painted it when we moved in 4 years ago! The lighter color should bring out the chocolate tones of the cabinets nicely and I will pick 3 of our favorite New Zealand pics, get big enlargements made and frame them for our huge 12' tall by 15' wide kitchen wall that is completely empty. That will dress it up, give it some great artwork, a focal point and a punch of color. I am guessing that I will buy frames that are just raw wood and dye them to match the cabinets. This should be fun! I will update with pics as we progress...slowly....
Above, the s----l----o----w process to remove the spindles from the top rail that we are keeping, it's already sanded and ready for re-staining.

No comments: