Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Yellow Monster strikes again

Last nite was a therapy dog nite. The Big Yellow Monster and I visited a women's shelter in St. Paul. We are a part of the art therapy program for the kids there. It's rewarding, frustrating and heartbreaking all at the same time. We see alot of the same kids come back time and time again. Their mom's are just in bad relationships or making bad choices and they are trying to break the cycle of violence. Last nite, the group of kids consisted of 9 gorgeous kids, ages 6-13. The Monster was the only dog there so as soon as we walked in the door there was a moment of shreiking, yelling, cheering and basically, pandemonium. We all got settled on the rug on the flooor, Monster in the middle and 9 new faces all around him petting, touching, talking all at once. And like a trooper, he rolled onto his side, listened to me murmur "good boy, easy, nice dog" and he let the kids glom all over him. It was wonderful to see them all lovin' on him. We spent time talking about dog safety and rules, then Monster did a little show of all his tricks and obedience. We talked about what happens when dogs are naughty. I told them that we don't hit him because that's not allowed in our house. Most of them were shocked at a rule like that.

Last nite's art project was for the kids to make a painting or drawing of their dream fort or tree house. Then we talked about who would be allowed in, why or why not and what the rules are. It was so insightful and sad at times. Of course, the Monster was a hit and he was allowed in pretty much all the houses and in one, he was the guard dog to keep mean people out. The kids were told that I was pregnant and there were a few questions about that. One little girl asked me how many kids I have, I told her that this was going to be my first one. She looked at me and said, "You're a teenager, right?" Whoa, that is a perspective and a way of life for her! I told her no, I was 35 years old. Then several of them told me I was too old to have my first baby, that their moms were all younger. It was hard to hear them talk about how normal it was to be a teenager and pregnant. Talk about living in a different world, right under my nose. It ended up being a great conversation. Of course, I am choosing to believe that she asked if I was a teenager because I just look so youthful! (ha!)

No comments: