Thursday, October 23, 2008

The thermostat Nazi!

I think I got this from my dad...I hate turning on the heat in the fall! Fortunately, K is entertained by my resistance and he normally runs warm so it doesn't bother him. I always tease my dad that I'll hold out longer than him when it comes to turning on the heat, he claims that when he leaves for hunting mom ruins it for him and turns on the furnace. I just laugh and said it doesn't matter! This year I told him that if he really wants to win and keep mom away from the thermostat to take the cover off and disconnect the wires. Of course, when mom tries to turn on the heat and it doesn't work, it's likely she'll call us. And OF COURSE we'll head over there to fix it! I don't want mom to get cold! Hehehheehe! Our friends tease us too, that we have a cold house. Part of it is that the workshop is below the kitchen and it's not heated so the kitchen floor gets *super* cold, that coupled with 12' ceilings on the main floor make for a cooler home. I love the programmable thermostat. We have it set to 55 degrees at nite, it stays there when we get up for work and all day while we are at work. Then around 3pm the thermostat is programmed to bring the temp up to 60 degrees. But, at 9pm, it's back to 55. We do have a wood burning stove too, and that helps with supplemental heating. If we want it warmer we start a fire in the stove. K has done a great job of making upgrades to it so it's becoming more efficient. We also have a huge basket of guest slippers for folks who are visiting our home. Nothing is worse than cold feet!

So, have you turned on your furnace yet? What temp do you keep your house at in the winter?

1 comment:

Tina Vega said...

brrrrrr... ours is at 64 degrees though I drop it down a degree or two during the day because the sunlight really warms things up.