Saturday, October 11, 2008

WOW! Tai Chi rocks!

The Hubby joined me and we are calling our 1 hour of tai chi on Saturday mornings a date! I enjoyed that hour so much I am not sure if I can put it into words. One of the funny things is that the form (Chinese word for routine) that we are learning is the form I posted here as an axample of Tai Chi. We spent the first class learning the first 6 moves. Needless to say, I am no where as graceful or coordinated as the beautiful woman in pink in the video (see here) but I have started. K and I will enjoy being able to practice together at home. I want to spend 10-20 minutes each day doing this. It takes so much concentration to control the movements of both arms, both legs, the crossing motions, and your breathing that there is a wonderful zen state that is easily achieved. I was at such peace while we were moving! Even just repeating one move to each side back and forth as we traversed the room was beautiful. I am excited to learn more of this form and to practice peace from within. Since K has 15 years of off and on martial arts experience he is familiar with the type of movements and I really enjoyed watching him. He also told me that tai chi is the hardest of all martial arts to learn. I am pretty proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something so new, especially something like this when I am such a desperately clutzy ungraceful person!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, I hope your success with this powerful art continues.