Sunday, October 12, 2008

A weekend full of forward motion


We finally made visible forward progress on the kitchen face lift! K finished up the railing update and I LOVE it! It is much more modern than the old wood turned spindles. And the oak edging on the stairs will be easier to clean, especially since the spindles don't go down into the carpet anymore.

I sanded the cabinet boxes and got them all stained. If I never use a palm sander again it will be fine with me! I was finally able to custom mix a stain that K and I both like, and the same stain worked well on the old wood of the cabinet boxes and the new wood of the doors and new pantry. I ended up using a stain that I have never used before and I think I have a new favorite. I have never been thrilled with Minwax stain, it's just too uneven and just doesn't have a good "feel" to it when I am using it. The new stain is called Old Masters wiping stain and it's thick! It is almost gel consistency but goes on great and wipes off beautifully. I definitely will be using this on our next furniture making project. (Oh man, I just can't stop, can I?) Anyway, K started working on making the new doors for the cabinets tonite too. Hopefully the next few nites I can get the cabinets polyurethaned (3 coats) and then I can start edge banding the new doors. I am not sure, but I *think* the end may be in sight!

Below, the color of the cabinets originally, followed by the new color. I love the dark color! Partnered with some brushed nickel accents it will be a new contemporary kitchen...woohoo!